Monday, October 1, 2012

PowerPoint!! Ungh/Terrific

What I got from this particular project was that we were requested to make a Powerpoint that was able to be used in the hands of the children that we plan to teach someday. I made my Powerpoint to be geared towards first and second grade special education students to learn how to count the numbers one through ten. I learned that there is much more to Powerpoint then what I believed, and I really liked what I learned.
 I learned that you can make a certain picture move, you can have things pop up at different times, if you set a hyperlink in your slide it will take you to wherever you want it to go, and you can animate whatever you want! That's so exciting :) In highschool I learned to put words into the Powerpoint and read from it.....boringgg. So I like knowing how to jazz it up and make it interesting enough so as not to put people to sleep.
 I put the title of my post as ungh to terrific because for me it started off as ungh and then gradually progressed to terrific. It started off as ungh because of the former thoughts that I had with Powerpoint, I thought of boring and not helpful. But as time went on I realized that it can be terrific, and with all the things that you can do with it you can make it terrific. And as we discussed in class, you could put up a Powerpoint such as what we made in class up on your website some day when you're a teacher and have it be an interactive thing for your students parents to do with their child at home. I think that is such a great idea! I just might end up doing that someday when I become a teacher.
 I am glad that we did this project and I think it was beneficial to present what we created to our fellow peers because what you think is a great idea in your own head can be turned into an even better outcome when you have others helping you, and giving you helpful criticisms. Ultimately, in the end you can end up with something better than what you started off with, because your nose has been in your own work for so long, maybe you missed a key point of some sort and it's helpful to have other people "checking it" and can then go back and fix it.
 I thought that my other peers projects were awesome. I noticed some mistakes in theirs just as they noticed some in mine, but that's what made it so cool to check out the other projects and get an idea of what their ideas were. It was fun to go through their Powerpoint with them and see what they decided to do with the project.

Learning how to count one through ten!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uxPfPyYp84E
This video is a video that helps teach children to learn how to count. I think it's helpful because it's slow and really breaks it down for the young learner.

Every child counts. Just like the children in this video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db4nfMyB3W0&feature=player_detailpage
I liked this video because it was very inspirational. It showed how they made every child count. It warmed my heart.

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading how you went from ungh to terrific through the project. I would just say the videos felt a little tacked on at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the background you gave about your expirience. I am glad that your expirienced changed from uhg into terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you were on the fence with PowerPoint. I always tell people that PowerPoint is the necessary evil of teaching. I know with Early Childhood Education, PowerPoint won't be effective with preschoolers for example. Plus a child at that age wouldn't have any experience with technology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just like you said on my blog, I'm happy that you learned to enjoy PowerPoint. It's crazy how our views change through ONE assignment! It's also good to hear that you caught your mistakes and learned from presenting yours to peers :)

    ReplyDelete